Monthly Archives: July 2016
It may take years for a piece of furniture to develop that natural, weathered look. If you want that look in your furniture, that too in a short span, you can opt for distressing techniques. Nowadays, distressed furniture is highly sought-after, and this demand has led to the development of indigenous furniture distressing techniques. These techniques are used to create a worn-out look by artificially aging the furniture, even though they are brand new. Different methods are used to come up with unique pieces of distressed furniture that offer a realistic look.
A piece of distressed furniture can be very expensive, as compared to a similar fresh piece. Don’t lose heart if you are not able to afford a piece of distressed furniture. You can make one out of the existing furniture in your house. You need a piece of old furniture to work on, some tools, and a basic idea regarding how to distress furniture. If you are a beginner, avoid any expensive, new or valuable antique furniture. You may also try these methods on a damaged or a cheap piece. By distressing furniture at home, you can create a unique antique piece, and save money too. Here are some easy methods to create distressed furniture at home.
Sand the selected piece of wooden furniture. Once done, paint the entire surface area with a light brown paint. As the paint dries completely, rub the edges and the raised surfaces of the furniture with wax, as these are the areas that would have been worn out with time. Now paint the entire surface area with a dark brown acrylic paint which will not stick to those parts that are rubbed with wax. Place paper towels over the waxed areas. Gently iron those parts till the wax transfers to the paper towels. You may also use steel wool to rub and remove the wax. Your distressed furniture is ready, and you may use it for interior decoration. If the furniture still has a polished and finished look, you can sand it once again to get the desired look.
Apply a layer of paint over the sanded surface of the furniture. You may use any color of your choice. Once the layer dries, apply another layer of a different color. You may also go for a third layer if you want to. A minimum of two to three colors are required if you want to show the different layers of paint. The next step is to sand the furniture using sandpaper of different grits, for varied effects. Apply more pressure on those areas that are more prone to suffer natural wear and tear. They include the edges, the raised parts, areas surrounding the handles, etc. You may also use a liquid paint stripper to remove paint with a different effect. Once done, you can use screws, nails, hammer, etc., to make some marks on the furniture. Sand down areas with such marks before applying a few coats of shellac.
Once you are done with sanding and painting the piece of furniture, let it dry completely. Mix equal amounts of glaze and paint (a color different from that of the base coat). You may go for a metal glaze or an antique glaze, and a paint color of your choice. All you have to do is to apply the mixture in small amounts, on selected areas, especially the joints, corners, and crevices of the furniture. Wipe off the excess mixture with paper towels. Otherwise, apply a coat of clear sealer, and use a buffing tool to dull the sheen.
Cracking Paint Effect
This is one of the popular furniture distressing techniques, and is used to simulate the cracking paint effect seen on old furniture. The following are some guidelines for distressing furniture to create this effect.
- First of all, you have to sand the furniture, and clean it with a tack cloth.
- Paint it with a water-based color (preferably dark) of your choice, so as to cover the entire surface area. Allow it to dry for at least a day.
- Once it dries out, make a mixture of wallpaper paste and gum arabic, and apply a thick coat of this mixture on the furniture. This coating has to be almost dry before you can perform the next step.
- The next step involves application of a single coat of latex paint (any light color) over the thick mixture coating.
- As soon as you finish with the coating, dry the entire surface area of the furniture using a hair dryer. The hair dryer must be on maximum heat so that the cracks appear quickly.
Materials for Furniture Distressing
You can use nails, screws, hammer, keys, wire chains, nuts and bolts, etc., as tools for distressing furniture. All such materials can be used to achieve a beaten around, worn-out look for painted modern furniture.
- Start with sanding the edges, areas around the handles, corners, and raised parts. You may use sandpaper in various grits to avoid a uniform pattern. Instead of sandpaper, you may use steel wool.
- Now beat the furniture with tools like hammer, to create the wear and tear effect. A faux wormhole can be made with a small wire nail and hammer, and small scratches can be created with a wire brush.
- Various impressions can be made on the entire surface area of the furniture by using tools like hammer, chain, chisel, pry bar, and logs.
- Clean the surface with a tack cloth and apply wood stain using a damp cloth over the areas, where you have created the holes and marks. Wipe off any extra wood stain and allow it to dry.
- Once the stain is dry, apply a sealer or polyurethane. This coating will protect the furniture from further wear and tear.
These are some of the easiest furniture distressing techniques. You need some spare time and creativity to create such vintage furniture at home. The simplest way is to paint the furniture and use a piece of sandpaper to rub those parts that are more prone to natural wear and tear. If you want additional effects, add some stain or glaze.
Buying design furniture makes a lot of sense because so many people do it right now. Designer furniture is different from what you normally get to see when you visit an ordinary furniture store. These items of furniture are designed in the neo design and they certainly give your room that special look. For finding the best of designer furniture visit a furniture online store and you will be able to go through some of the most exhaustive collections now available.
Before you buy design furniture from a furniture online store, there are a couple of points to keep in mind. First of all, you should first measure the size of the room. If you think that the room size is too large then you may end up cluttering the entire room with a whole load of unnecessary stuff. On the other hand, if you measure the room size to be too small then the furniture you buy will still make the room look very bare.
The second point to keep in mind regarding buying design furniture from a furniture online store is that you should design the room around the furniture. Buy your designer furniture first and design the rest of the decor as per the look of the furniture. This will ensure that the pieces of furniture take the centre stage and the other items of decor give the furniture the enhancement in look it needs.
Many people go directly to the designer to buy their design furniture. This may be a good practice if you are serious about buying your furniture from a specific designer. There is restriction that you will be imposing on the options. On the other hand, going to a furniture online store means you can check out the latest in designer furniture designed by more than one designer. You will not only get to see some of the finest pieces of furniture on display but will also be able to buy furniture within your budget.
As far as your budget is concerned, design furniture is worth it. But then you need to consider the fact these pieces of furniture have a different look and you will be able to give your home a completely special look and feel. But when you buy designer furniture from a furniture online store you can save some money because online stores offer better deals than normal stores.
Once you are through with planning the furniture for your home, visit a furniture online store. Go through the options and add the items of design furniture to your shopping cart. Once you are through shopping, pay online and your furniture will be delivered to you.
Exotic design furniture has that different look and you really can visualise how your room will look when you place all the pieces of furniture that you can see in a furniture online store. Go online now and pick up select pieces for your home. You will love to buy more and more.
Inflatable furniture has always been associated with camps, picnics, beaches and the like. But in recent times, more and more people have started using this kind of furniture in their homes. Typically, inflatable furniture is made of a hardened polyvinyl carbonate material which has extreme strength and elasticity. It is because of the elasticity that the material can withstand the heavy pressure blowing within the object. They are all supplied with hard plastic or rubber push buttons which can be opened to fill in the air, and then closed again. The material of the button is so designed, so as to keep it securely fastened. There are inflation pumps specially available for inflating this furniture.
A lot of typical household furniture can be made in the inflatable style. Very common materials are sofas, chairs, stools, beds and a lot of kids’ furniture. Because of the polyvinyl carbonate material used for their manufacture, they can be given any color and design. That is how a great amount of diversity can be created with inflatable furniture. Their basic structure is the same, but the assorted designs on it make all the difference. In fact, it is the colors and the design that differentiate inflatable furniture meant for kids from those meant for adults.
What’s the appeal of inflatable furniture anyway? They are good additions for children’s bedrooms, but for the mainstream rooms of the house, they might not be good fits. Just a single inflatable sofa here or a footstool there could make a good accent, but that’s about it. But yes, when it comes for picnics and such things, they turn out to be the best options.
People buy inflatable furniture because they have a lot of advantages attached to them. The following are some of the commonest reasons why people would want to buy them.
- They are cheap. Inflatable furniture is the cheapest kind of furniture around. You can get plain sofas for two at about $30, while the more jazzily printed ones could go up to $50. Even the large beds are obtainable at well under $50. Thus, these become good choices if you are living in a temporary house and want furniture for the stop-gap arrangement.
- They are very good for kids’ rooms for many reasons, and the least of these reasons is that they are colorful and quite attractive for the young people. But more than that, inflatable furniture is completely safe, as they have no hard ends anywhere. That makes them suitable for toddlers too. Children like the bouncy feel this furniture gives them.
- They are portable. All you have to do is to let the air out from them, and fold them into tiny parcels. These can be then carried wherever you want. Well, you can carry the entire furniture of your home in one single suitcase if it were inflatable.
- They require no maintenance at all. You don’t have to polish them, wax them or spray them with pest and insect-proof substances. Because polyvinyl carbonate is resistant to all these factors, these furniture items ensure you a long service.
But there are the disadvantages of these furniture too. If there weren’t any, everyone would have disposed of their other forms of furniture and packed in their homes with inflatable things. Here’s a list of the disadvantages that go with inflatable furniture:
- They are quite delicate. Because they are inflatable, a little puncture with a pin could make the whole thing useless. You can patch them up with adhesive tape, but that wouldn’t last quite long too. Children must be made to realize this, because their rough play can easily damage this furniture.
- Because they are not heavy, they do not get a firm base on the ground too. As a result, they keep swaying. Especially, the child seats slip a lot when the toddler tries to get up on it. Also, if the toddler pushes his/her weight on one side of the seat, the whole thing might topple over, injuring the kid. This problem is lesser with the larger furniture, like the sofas and beds, though.
- They are marketed as invincible furniture, but in reality, they cannot be used for long. As you keep using them, they get outworn. The rubber buttons may become lose, or the seams might give away slightly, etc. When that happens, the furniture becomes useless, because it will not be able to hold air. In fact, just after a few weeks of using this furniture, you will see that it doesn’t hold as much air as it used to earlier.
- They are considered inelegant. You can keep them in children’s rooms, but it is very unorthodox to use inflatable furniture in the other rooms of the home, apart for a few pieces here and there. For people who are looking for making a statement with the décor of their homes, the inflatable furniture is certainly not the best option.
After a hard day’s work, what is the best thing do? It’s just lying on the sofa and watching the television. Sofas are relaxing indeed. There is a lot of variety available in the sofa market. There are sitter sofas which can be used only for seating or relaxation, and the other ones are the sleeper sofas, which are good for homes where space is an issue. Sleeper sofas, as the name suggests, have dual functions. They can be used as the conventional sofas of the living room, and also as a super comfortable bed. The smooth transformation of these sofas into a bed is the main feature of these sofas.
A lot of thinking normally goes into buying the room furniture of any kind, be it sofas or any other furniture. Furniture should be bought considering the room size, home wall colors, fabric type, and of course the budget. Rather than investing a huge amount into buying luxurious sofas, it is better to buy the reasonable and cheap sofas. The advantage of following this strategy is that, you can replace the sofas periodically and buy new ones to keep the mood changing!
The furniture market is flooded with so many brands, and generally all the brands manufacture sleeper sofas. According to reviews, Ikea, Ethen Allen, Carlyle, American Leather, Ashley, Room & Board, are some of the most popular brands in furniture. But the sofas from these brands are quite highly priced. Mostly, all the brands require assembling and dissembling, which is quite easy, and is mentioned in the manual. In this article, we will specifically be targeting the ones from good brands, where the price is under $500. While buying sofas, the quality factor should not be ignored. There are many brands in the market that offer cheap ones, but remember that these products are not all value for money. Also, it should be noted that the prices mentioned under may vary slightly as per the region of buying, and also the mode of buying. So now, let’s get into the details of some quality and low-cost sofas.
Rayanne Sofa Bed
The Rayanne sofa bed manufactured by Ashley furniture is a perfect buy, as far as price is concerned. The sofa guarantees a comfortable feel to you, along with an exotic rich look to the living room. The product comes with a matching ottoman and swivel chair. The price for this sofa is around $450.
Mia Bark Sofa with Storage
The main advantage of sleeper sofas with ‘storage’ is that they help in hiding the clutter! Just put up all the unwanted things in this storage space, and enjoy a clutter free home! The Mia Bark sofa with storage by Furniture USA, is a reliable and stylish product that guarantees a sophisticated look to your home. This sofa is available at a price of around $400.
Handy Living Convert A Couch Sleeper Sofa
This sofa easily converts itself into a bed by the push of a hand, and is comfortable and light weight due to the steel construction. Two people can comfortably sleep on this sofa, and as a couch three people can sit on it. The price for this useful sofa cum bed is around $425.
Acme Contemporary Beige Microfiber Adjustable Sofa Bed Sleeper
This one is a classy product from Acne, and the simple design makes it look very elegant. It is a simple sofa cum bed with no storage space. The product is suitable for a living room, and can be used as a bed in case of an emergency. The price is around $300.
Istikbal 18-REG-N5136-03-0 Regata 3 Seat Sleeper
A stylish and reasonable product, which will definitely add style to your home. The product design is the main feature of this brand. The spring design gives the ultra comfortable feeling, and the sofa also has a storage space. The price is around $300.
Buying a sleeper sofa is a smart move as it has many uses – a bed, a sofa and a storage space. Apart from that, there are plenty of designs available to choose from. So, go in for this kind of sofa, they are definitely worth the buy!